If The Face Fits
Again, this exercise is broken up into 2 parts.
Part one is create a set of sample books organised into:
1.Serif for continuous text, readable at small sizes and for headings.
2.San-Serif for continuous text, readable at small sizes and for headings.
3.Script fonts that look handwritten with a pen or a brush.
4.Decorative fonts only suitable for headings or ‘fun’ uses.
5.Fixed width, techno and pixel fonts for use on the web or to give computer appearance.
The first thing I needed to do was see what Sample books looked like, I’d not seen one before and wanted to know if there was a set format or a particular body of text that should be used.
Examples found online
From what I saw, I seem to have free reign on how I put the books together, so I chose a format that I felt allowed room for a lot of different typefaces, whilst still giving a clear example of each.
Pixel / Computer
The next part was to identify which of these fonts I’d use for a list of given commissions. I brainstormed each one to establish what I was trying to achieve.
With these general ideas in mind, it was trial and error from this point:
A short story in a woman’s magazine
This one seemed quite straight forward to start with, as most women’s magazines follow a similar format, but I think they can look quite dated. The magazines I looked at had both serif and San-Serif typefaces for headings, but I think using San-Serif looks a little less dated.
An advertisement in a parish magazine asking for helpers on the flower rota
Although the font choices I used here were not my first choices, I think they work well for this use.
A poster to advertise an after school club for boys aged 13-14
This one was fun to do. I knew that ‘a dripping marker’ would work well, and to keep it interesting for the target audience, I got to use lots of decorative fonts.
Your friends’ engagement party
This one was a little trickier, the brief said ‘a flyer A5 size to send to friends as if advertising a club night’, so I needed to work out what kind of club. I looked at the decorative fonts in my sample book to establish what my options were, then tried each one to see which worked best. I think my punk option (based on the Sex Pistols album cover) worked well, with a ‘handwritten’ script to give a handmade feel to it.